After being vegan for a number of years, eggs are the thing that brought me back to the vegetarian side. I love eggs … a lot, and lately, they have been a staple in my daily breakfast.
I’m also a believer (although I am not a registered dietician) that eggs are good you for you even if they have a bit of cholesterol. NPR agrees.
Speaking of of eggs, this Saturday, I made the ill-advised decision to venture into the snow for brunch. After a lovely brunch and a gut-wrenching $61 in Uber receipts (seriously), I was safely delivered back inside to hibernate from the unfriendly winter weather. However, I did have amazing scrambled eggs for breakfast: cilantro scrambled eggs with ginger and jalapeños.
At first, I was a little thrown off by the idea of ginger in eggs. Cilantro and jalapeños are an easy thumbs up, but ginger … Yet, my unyielding desire for eggs after a hellish snow-bound commute trumped the oddity of the flavor combination. And I was pleasantly surprised and immediately decided I had to come up with my own version cilantro scrambled eggs to share the weird combination of eggs and ginger with the world or at least the world of people who read blogs.
- 1 tablespoon of butter or olive oil ( I used Earth Balance)
- ½ jalapeno chopped
- 2 tsp - 1 tablespoon of minced ginger
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons of unsweetened original soymilk
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup of loosely packed cilantro
- Rice or bread for serving
- Heat a small fry pan over a low-medium heat.
- Add butter or olive oil to pan, and add ginger, and jalapeños. Cook until fragrant (just a minute or so).
- In a small bowl, mix together eggs, egg whites, soymilk, and salt. Whisk until well-combined.
- Add egg mixture to fry pan, and cook egg slowly over a low-medium heat. Stir frequently to prevent eggs from sticking to the pan.
- As the eggs reach desired consistency, stir torn cilantro into eggs.
- Serve warm with rice, bread, and maybe some sriracha sauce.
I totally get your hesitation. I know eggs and ginger seem unnatural , but this is my new favorite scrambled eggs combination. Perfect for brunch at home on the weekend. Perfect for a weeknight dinner (maybe served with some roasted eggplant). And if eggs and ginger are a winning combination (which, I promise they are!), I’m pretty sure that anything is possible.
Hasta luego. XOXO.