Well internet friends, I start a new job in two days! Two days! That good news I was hoping for last week came through. I almost can’t believe that my “free” time has come to an end. Part of the reason I started this blog was unemployment boredom, and now, I am transitioning back into the working world. I hope it is like a riding a bike – I haven’t had a full-time job in almost four years. I am sure I will miss those occasional days laying in bed and binging on Netflix, but, if I don’t like my job I can always become a full-time blogger, right? Just kidding ya’ll – totally not my plan.
I don’t really know how I’m going to keep up this blog and work at the same time, but I’ll find a way. There may not be five posts per week on Life Between Lattes. For reals, I could barely keep up with that schedule while I was unemployed, but I’d still like to stop by the share a little slice of my life a few times a week. And before I forget, it is Meatless Monday, so I have one of my new favorite recipes to share.
A lot of times I feel pressure to be really creative and unique with the meals that I create, but at the end of the day, I want to create realistic recipes that readers can make or use as inspiration. I rarely make other people’s recipes, which is a result of my inability to follow directions, but I use people’s recipe for inspiration all the time. And a lot recipe out there on the internet aren’t vegan, so I have become a queen of modification.
So this week, I have been brainstorming about lunch ideas. Back to work means eating lunch at a desk again, and I am person who consistently forgets to pack my lunch. This tempeh salad is spin on the traditional chicken waldorf salad. I was never a fan of cold chicken, but I love cold tempeh. This recipe is delicious and super easy to throw together and throw into your bag on your way to work in the morning.
- 1 block of tempeh ( I like LightLife Three Grain Tempeh or Trader Joe's brand)
- 1/4 cup of raisins
- 1 large apple
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1/4 cup of Veganaise
- 1 tablespoon and 1 heaping teaspoon of dijon mustard (Grey Poupon!!)
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Steam tempeh for around 5 minutes.
- While tempeh is steaming, chop apple and celery into small pieces. Mix together with raisins.
- When tempeh is done, chop into small pieces, and mix with apple, celery, and raisins. Put in the refrigerator for 5 - 10 minutes to make sure tempeh is cool.
- Add Veganaise, mustard, and lemon juice to other ingredients, and stir everything together.
- Garnish with black pepper.
- You can put this on a sandwich like I did, but I also think it would be great as a dip for crackers.
My Mom is so weary of soy by-products and meat substitutes, but tempeh is nothing to be afraid of. It is basically grains and soybeans that have been fermented and pressed into a block. Think of it like a fermented bean burger, which is not scary at all! But, in all seriousness, tempeh is one of my favorite vegan proteins, and it packs a ton of fiber, iron, and protein. Good stuff ya’ll.
Wish me luck on my first day! And please make this tempeh salad – I promise you won’t be disappointed. Hasta luego! Happy Monday!